My Natural Hair Journey

 It all started in the summer of 2019 when I visited a hairdresser and at the time I didn’t know what the word transition meant. All I knew was I was tired of getting relaxers. (Plus the woman that did my hair moved) My hair was a frizz ball and I was left out to discover what to do with my hair.

I decided to go natural after that to see what my hair texture actually looked like but I knew I didn’t want to big chop ( I didn’t have it in me!). So after that, I learned about what hair transitioning was and I decided to do it! It was tough I didn’t really know anything about protective styling because I had gotten relaxers since I was about 10 years old. I read hundreds of articles about how to transition and tons of videos about that to do, but the main thing I learned from transitioning was IT TAKES TIME.

My starting point in August of 2019

Image for post

Throughout the months I had seen all the steps on how to transition hair

  1. No heat. I had a tough time not dealing with the blowdryer and flat iron but I made it
  2. Deep condition. This was something I was already sort of doing. Even with relaxed hair and transitioning I deep conditioned every few weeks and that kept my hair soft.
  3. No Sulfates. I’m didn’t know what a sulfate was but I did know that the shampoos I used to contain them, and so I tried a sulfate-free shampoo sadly though it was Cantu and I switched to Shea Moisture shortly after and haven’t had a problem since.
Image for post

I thought my hair would never grow but it did and I was so excited! As the months turned into a year I had gotten a good hair routine going and learned how to twist pretty well and after a year and a half of transitioning, I big chopped my hair in October of 2020.

Image for post

There were so many times I wanted to take the scissors and go for, so many times I was told to get a relaxer, but I stuck with it and I fell in love with my curls all over again. I still have work to do of course because the journey continues but, I think it will be worth it in the end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One That Always Smiles (Gin Ichimaru Love Story) ch.5

New Lessons and Outings

Hetalia German Brothers